Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Frustration in the Netherlands

A lot of things here seem to be hard to organize. For starters, work was supposed to organize us to get bank accounts open, but when I was at the bank they started asking for all this extra documentation which our employees don’t usually need, like proof of address etc (uh, no I don’t have a phone bill with my name and address on it, I don’t even have a phone!). So the coordinator at work says she will sort it out for me, but I never hear back from her. So eventually she then emails me and asks me for my bank account number. I’m all like ‘uh, well I wasn’t able to open the account, and you said you’d sort it out’ to which I get no reply (of course).

Another thing that’s hard to organize is the contents of our apartment. We were told we’d be supplied with everything that is standard. So we get here, and there’s no toaster, and hardly any towels, and only one tiny frypan, and no internet connection at home, and no cable tv, all of which they said ‘came standard’. So we say to a different coordinator at work, what’s the process for buying them and getting reimbursed? So she says that she has to talk to our landlord about it because our firm doesn’t want to pay for these things themselves, they’d rather get it from the landlord (fair enough). But then two weeks later, lo and behold, we’ve heard nothing still.

Then I get told that I can’t get a laptop bag with wheels because I’m here for such a short time (despite the recent back injury not being completely healed yet), and an email comes through that our work mobile phones may or may not arrive before we leave the country at the end of April. A couple of hours later, another email comes through saying that the phones have arrived and we can pick them up. Cherilyn and I (since we are in Eindhoven) send an email requesting that one of the other girls pick up our phones, only to get a reply saying that the phones aren’t actually quite ready yet!

I MEAN SERIOUSLY…

And then to top it off, my internet banking from BNZ is completely bung – every time I log in it tells me that I can’t access my information ‘at the moment’ and that I should try again ‘later’. And it’s been telling me this for a month. So I call them and they tell me it’s just because every night at 9pm the credit card payment system rolls over (for approx half an hour). So I say, ok but what about when I logged in at 5am and it said the same thing? They were all ‘oh, um, yeah I dunno’. So I’m on hold for like an hour before they tell me that not only can they not fix it (“I’ve never heard of this happening before and I don’t really know anything about internet banking” the guy says), they also can’t even pass on a message to the internet banking team to get them to look into it! They say they only take phone calls, so I have to call between 9pm and 8am our time! Which is the only time I’m not at the office working, basically. And since we have no work mobile phones, and I’m living in a hotel, I have no way of making any phone calls like that.

Drives me insane. Considering unleashing the rage.


(trying to think calm thoughts, and feeling much better after my rant)

No comments: