Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More museums and yet more shopping

On Sunday I got up early and headed into town to go to Anne Frank’s house. I’d been told that it can get pretty crowded so you need to be there at opening time to have a good experience there.

Well I arrived at about five past, and had just a short wait on my hands before getting in. A british tourist group was in front of me, and mostly they powered through while I stopped to read things, look at things, etc so it wasn’t too much of a hassle. It was an amazing place! I haven’t actually read the book (or any of the companion books which have been written since) but I definitely want to now!







On the way there, while taking a picture of the road sign to Anne Frank Huis, I got distracted by a sign saying ‘Homomonument’. At first I thought, oh haha, the Dutch have used the wrong English word again, this is funny so I’ll take a picture of it.


So I stopped off there after Anne Frank’s house and found out that they had actually used the exact right word! It was a monument to 'commemorate all women and men ever oppressed and persecuted because of their homosexuality'.

And it’s always full of flowers.


After that I hit the Amsterdam Historic Museum and learned about how they build land rather than having a war about it these days – you just push the sea back further! My manager lives on an island that they only built about 5 years ago. This is space age stuff, really. Amsterdam Historic Museum was great, but I think I’ll go again when I’ve been here a bit longer and know the city better.

In the afternoon, I got the best deal ever on a pair of skechers (half price of half price) and eventually Cherilyn and I had to go home purely to avoid spending any more money!!

No comments: