Sunday, March 2, 2008

Top of the morning to ya!

This weekend I went to DUBLIN! Where, incidentally, I did not hear a single Irish person say ‘top of the mornin’to ya’. They do say ‘Thanks a million’ and ‘grand’ a lot. And when they swear, it sounds funny. However, I’m a little off topic here.

I flew into Dublin on a flight that got delayed by almost an hour, so poor Amanda and Mia had to wait for me in a McDonalds in town (cos that’s where the bus was going to drop me off) and were practically falling asleep there! Although I think they were kept awake by the extreme PDA that was going on around them.

Their apartment is kind of questionable… it’s a brand new building and it has had numerous teething problems (including no hot water for four days, the phone that doesn’t receive calls, and the case of the appearing coathangers and washing baskets after the girls had bought their own). One thing that is hands-down awesome is the bedding! Amanda and Mia each have a Super-King sized bed, it’s seriously massive! It’s the comfiest, most cloud-like bed I have ever slept on and I never wanted to get up again after I lay down. The duvet was super warm but not really bulky and heavy.

On Saturday we had a wee sleep in due to the seduction of the fantastically comfortable bed, and then headed into town to get breakfast/brunch/lunch/whatever we could find. Amanda and I tracked down some Potato and Leek soup (very Irish, I’m told) and some soda bread (apparently also quite Irish). After that we had a wee poke around in some stores, looking at cellphones as Amanda’s has thrown a fit and is showing her the mirror image of what it should show (when it shows anything at all).

We met up with Mia after that to get on our bus tour to Malahide Castle. This castle was AMAZING. The first part of it was built in 1185 A.D. and the Talbot family lived here for nearly 800 years until 1975 when the last remaining Talbot auctioned it off to pay the tax bill her brother hadn’t paid while he’d been the owner. It was bought by the council and now the grounds are maintained as a park and the inside is like a museum. They still use the banquet hall for special events today which I found weird (but also good). You won’t get that in most museums, huh.


Here are some of the piccies I took over the weekend:






What I also found really cute was all the Irish tourist stuff. Like little bears with green Irish jumpers on and all sorts of shamrocks on everything. I feel like we don’t have anything that cute in the Netherlands. Perhaps it is because of all the clog souvenirs. Oh well.

I didn’t realize that castles were added onto – I thought they were all built at once. But I guess it really makes sense. All the beautiful furniture and paintings were really interesting, and I got some decent interior design ideas from the (like for example, don’t paint entire rooms coral pink).

After the tour we hit the local pub for a good old fashioned pub meal - bangers and mash and a pint of Guinness for me. Then we went to the movies. I know, I know, I’m a horrible tourist. I’ve let down tourists all over the world. You’re not supposed to go to the movies when you’re a tourist! You can do that at home! You’re supposed to do things like stand in line for four hours to see a monument you didn’t know anything about and get your photo taken by it even though you never find out what its about or why its there. But we didn’t. We saw Juno. And it was really good! It was laugh-out-loud funny. And I did laugh out loud. In public. Reasonably embarrassing, really.

No comments: